Route

Route

Lhasa (part 1)

Friday 16th September

17 of the group left today for a 2 day excursion to Everest Base Camp – I stayed with 6 others in Lhasa. In the morning I changed some money at the Bank of China and then bought some cards at China Post as well as caught up with my emails at the hotel. In the afternoon I went to the Jokhang Temple – a fascinating but incomprehensible place. I then had a haircut and wash as well as having my beard trimmed and found a western style coffee house for a latte and Kit Kat – really spoiling myself!!

Security is very much in evidence here with armed troops on a lot of road intersections. They don’t want to be photographed and by their age are obviously young conscripts. Tibet (and in particular Lhasa) has been the focal point of Tibetan resistance against the imposition of the Chinese over the Dali Lama.




No comments:

Post a Comment